Tooth decay is a preventable disease. It is caused by a number of things including frequent consumption of dietary sugars and the presence of plaque bacteria in the mouth. There are a number of steps we take to reduce your child’s risk of dental disease:
- Brushing and flossing instruction
- Diet analysis and advice
- Professional guidance on the appropriate use of fluoride products
- Professional fluoride treatments
- Fissure sealants where appropriate
- Gentle acclimatisation to the dental environment prevents dental anxiety
This is where a plastic coating is painted onto the grooves of a tooth. This prevents food and bacteria from collecting in vulnerable areas. Having a fissure sealant placed is not painful and is an excellent way of introducing children to the dental environment. Parents should be aware that sealants can crack and chip over time and require monitoring and top-ups from time to time. We do not charge for top-ups on our fissure sealants at the practice.